Nancy Greenstein believes in the community college system and its critical role in providing educational and communal opportunities for a diverse cross-section of our community. As a trustee, these beliefs have been transformed into action insuring that SMC continues to provide an excellent education and remains a positive force for our community.
- #1 in transfers to the UC system for 27 consecutive years
- Leader in Career and Technical Education
- Santa Monica Promise – free tuition and books for first year full-time students
- Protected state funding for Emeritus College students
- Strong partnerships with the Cities of Santa Monica and Malibu, and the SMMUSD
- World-class faculty and staff, who believe in the students
- Launched the Public Policy Institute to educate the next generation of policy-makers
- Leader in Environmental Sustainability
- Providing sound fiscal management
- Opened the SMC Center for Media and Design (CMD), home to the KCRW Media Center and instructional programs on media content development and design
Dr. Nancy Greenstein is an educator and community activist working in the career in the public and nonprofit sectors. She recently retired as the Director of Police Community Services at UCLA helping to insure student and campus safety. She was a recognized leader for her work with in areas such as, sexual assault, mental health, hate crimes and victimization prevention receiving the prestigious national Jeanne Clery Campus Safety Award for her work with survivors of sexual assault. She was recognized with a UCLA Educational Leadership award.
She continues to work with students as a mentor and coach.
Nancy’s long time commitment to the college and the regional community is demonstrated by extensive volunteer and leadership experience. Examples of current organizational activity include serving as a board member of such diverse organizations as Students4Students (shelter program for homeless students), Malibu Santa Monica College Joint Powers Authority, Southern California ACLU, L.A. County West Vector District, the Social Justice Learning Institute SJLI, and the Broad Stage at SMC. Respected for her critical thinking and problem solving abilities, she is called upon to advise and consult with many local and regional organizations. She was honored to be selected as a Woman of the Year by then State Assembly Member Julia Brownley.
Dr. Greenstein’s commitment remains strong to the students, whether fresh from high school or in emeritus classes, college and community.
She is endorsed by Congressman Ted Lieu, Los Angeles County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl, Senator Ben Allen, Assembly Member Richard Bloom, Santa Monica Mayor Ted Winterer and councilmembers, school college board and members from Santa Monica and Malibu.
Nancy Greenstein * firstname.lastname@example.org * 310 396-1752